The Boxborough Conservation Commission is a seven-member board that is appointed by the Board of Selectmen to a three-year term. The Conservation Commission (ConsCom) spends a majority of its time fulfilling its legal obligations under the Massachusetts Wetlands Protection Act and the Boxborough Wetland Bylaw. The Conservation Commission is also responsible for the following:
- Issuing orders of conditions; certificates of compliance; extensions and determinations of applicability.
- Performing site inspections as needed.
- Trying to protect unique habitats, rare species and vernal pools.
- Holding meetings, hearings and commission deliberations as needed.
- Advising other town boards on wetland matters.
- Planning, managing and maintaining the comprehensive conservation trail system in Boxborough.
- Maintaining all conservation land in Boxborough through the Land Stewardship program.
The Commission also reviews and decides offers of land sale or gifts for conservation purposes. Approvals are then presented to town meeting for authorization. State and Federal Assistance Funds for these purchases are managed by the Commission. Members periodically attend seminars and workshops. The Commission has also revised the Open Space and Recreation Plan. The Commission continues to review the Boxborough Wetland Bylaw and has recently updated its Regulations for the Wetland Bylaw. Additionally, the Commission continues examining and discussing conservation land management practices. As part of this program, the Commission engaged the Massachusetts Audubon Ecological Extension Service to conduct breeding bird and vegetation surveys of grasslands and meadows on eight town-owned properties. Their findings and recommendations can be reviewed in Land Management Plans for Grasslands and Meadows on Town-Owned Land in Boxborough. To see photographs taken by the Audubon consultants of the various properties, click here.
|Dennis Reip||Chair (2018)|
|David Follett||Member (2017)|
|Charlene Golden||Member (2017)|
|Norm Hanover||Member (2019)|
|Dave Koonce||Member (2017)|
|Hoff Stuart||Member (2019)|
|Stephen Schmitt||Member (2018)|
|Elizabeth Markiewicz||Associate Member|
|Mary Nadwairski||Department Assistant||(978) 264-1722|