The Boxborough Fire Department has instituted a new system for requesting and activating burn permits this year. Residents no longer need to come to the station to get an initial permit. Instead, each day that residents would like to burn, they should return to this website to check to see if burning is allowed.
If burning is allowed, residents are required to fill out the form EACH DAY that they would like to burn. The form will be published each day that burning is allowed. Altneratively, you can call the Fire Department at 978-264-1770 to activate your permit.
DAILY PERMIT REGISTRATION:
Open Burning Rules and Regulations:
- Between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- No less than 75 feet away from all dwellings.
- It is never allowable to burn grass, hay, leaves, stumps or tires.
Starting the fire:
- Remove all grass from the area where you will be burning.
- Try to start the fire with natural "kindling" - never with gasoline or charcoal lighter fluid. If you must use an artificial helper, kerosene is probably safest.
- Never add brush that is green or wet. It will reduce the efficiency of the fire and produce thick smoke.
- Someone must attend the fire until it's completely out. You will need a hose or other supply of water and a shovel or rake for controlling the fire.
Putting the fire out:
- Burn the fire down to the coals, drown them with water, spread them out, then drown them again.
- Members Only
- Burn Permits (January 15 - May 1)
- Car Seat Installation Request Form
- CodeRed Emergency Notices
- Fire Prevention
- Home Safety Request Form (Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors)
- In the News
- PUBLIC SAFETY SPACE NEEDS ASSESSMENT
- Press Release on Improper Disposal of Ashes
- Public Education
- Roof Collapse Guidance
- Run Statistics
- Useful Links