BOXBOROUGH WELCOMES THE ONLINE PERMITTING PROCESS!!
Our permitting process is now available and applications are available through PermitPro
Anyone can use PermitPro to:
- Apply for a permit
- Check the status of a permit
- Review permits on properties
In order to file for a permit online please follow the steps below:
- Register with PermitPro
- Once registered login to PermitPro
- Select the type of permit
- Fill out the address information
- Fill out the body of the application
- Submit the application
- Submit supporting documentation
- Submit Payment
- Note your application number in order to view your application status
All applications must have the following supporting documents:
- Workman’s Compensation Certificate
- Certificate of Liability Insurance – Town of Boxborough listed as Certificate holder.
- Homeowner’s filing for a permit assume responsibility through their homeowner’s insurance.
- For Building Permits a current Massachusetts HIC and CSL license, for Electricians, Plumbers, and Gas Fitters – Current Massachusetts State professional Licenses.
- Building Permits that require a set of plans – a hard copy set of plans will have to be delivered to the Building Department for review.
- Full payment must be made at the time of application.
Expect Electrical, Plumbing, and Gas permits to take up to 3 business days to be approved and processed providing all documentation and payment are received.
Expect Commercial and Residential permits to take up to 5 business days to process.
Incomplete Applications will not be reviewed until all required forms and payment have been submitted - Please refer to the Building Permits dropdown tab to the left of the webpage for further direction, forms and requirements.
You may check back online within 1-2 business days to see what forms are missing as well as track the approval status from each required Department. If you receive a "thumbs down" approval status, hover over the icon and you will see what requirements have not been met.
You will receive an email when the permit card is ready for pickup. Permit cards must be posted on the job site or an inspection will not occur.
Certificates of Occupancy - are provided upon request, please allow 72 hours for paperwork to be processed and Certificates to be issued
PLEASE NOTE: For inspections please call: (978) 264-1796
Press 1: Interim Building Commissioner, Ed Cataldo
Press 2: Electrical Inspector, Bill Morehouse
Press 3: Plumbing & Gas Inspector, Steve Bottazzi
Should you need further assistance, please contact Kim Pelser at (978) 264-1726.
THE BUILDING DEPARTMENT INSPECTION LINE
Do you need to schedule an inspection?
Scheduling your appointments for inspections is now easier to do!
Schedule today by calling our new inspection line at (978) 264-1796 for an appointment with our Building, Electrical, Plumbing and Gas inspectors.
Boxborough has adopted the Stretch Energy Code - Updated in 2023 to be more energy efficient
The Boxborough Building Department is responsible for administering Massachusetts General Laws, Building, Electrical, Plumbing, and Gas Codes, Architectural Access Board regulations, and General and Zoning Bylaws of the Town of Boxborough as they relate to demolition, construction, reconstruction, and occupancy of buildings and structures.
As of January 1, 2018 the State of Massachusetts has adopted into law the 9th edition of the Building Code. It is comprised of the following:
- 2015 International Building Code (Commercial, including three families on up)
- 2015 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2015 International Existing Building Code
- 2015 International Fire Code
- 2015 International Mechanical Code
- 2015 International Residential Code
- 2015 International Swimming Pool Code
As amended by the Massachusetts Board of Building Regulators and Standards.
Benefits of Permitting
Please keep in mind that a homeowner’s insurance policy may not cover work performed without a proper permit or properly licensed discipline. Securing a building, electrical, plumbing, or gas permit is a benefit to you, as it allows an inspection to take place to insure that all work has been performed in accordance to the ever changing codes. Please see Permit Requirements (PDF) for more information.