Business Certificate Information & Application

Filing a Business Certificate (DBA)

Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 110, Section 5, 6; 227:5A

Whenever you are conducting a business under a name other than your own or a corporation’s, you must obtain a "doing business as" (DBA) or Business Certificate (PDF) from the Town Clerk in the town where the business is located. To get started, view the Step-by-Step Guide to Starting a Business from the Executive Office of Housing and Economic Development (EOHED).

Please note that a business certificate is not a license to do business in the Town of Boxborough. Additional licenses/permits issued by other town departments or state agencies may be required in order to do business. Please refer to the Town of Boxborough Zoning Bylaw (PDF) for conducting a business in the business district or the residential/home business. If needed you may be required to check with the Building Inspector/Zoning Enforcement Officer by calling 978-264-1725.