The Boxborough Building Department is responsible for administering Massachusetts General Laws, Building, Electrical, Plumbing, and Gas Codes, Architectural Access Board regulations, and General and Zoning Bylaws of the Town of Boxborough as they relate to demolition, construction, reconstruction, and occupancy of buildings and structures.
NOTE: As of January 1, 2018 the State of Massachusetts has adopted into law the 9th edition of the Building Code. It is comprised of the following:
- 2015 International Residential Code
- 2015 International Building Code (Commercial, including three families on up)
- 2015 International Existing Building Code
- 2015 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2015 International Mechanical Code
- 2015 International Fire Code
- 2015 International Swimming Pool Code
As Amended by the Massachusetts Board of Building Regulators & Standards.
Please keep in mind that a homeowner’s insurance policy may not cover work performed without a proper permit or properly licensed discipline. Securing a building/electrical/plumbing/gas permit is a benefit to you, as it allows an inspection to take place to insure that all work has been performed in accordance to the ever changing codes. Please see Permit Requirements for more information.