Absentee Voting

Requests for absentee ballots must be made in writing. They can be submitted by the voter or by a family member. You can use any piece of paper to make the request, as long all the required information is included: 

  • name
  • address where you are registered to vote
  • address where you wish the absentee ballot sent
  • in a primary, the party ballot you want
  • signature

Requests can be mailed to the attention of the Town Clerk, 29 Middle Road, Boxborough, MA  01719. Alternatively, you can take a picture of a signed application and email the photo to me at [email protected].

    If you'd like to use a form to request an absentee ballot, click on the appropriate link below:

    Whichever method you choose, the application or request for an absentee ballot must be made in writing and signed.

    Applications for absentee ballots must be received by the Town Clerk before 12:00 noon the day before a primary or an election. (A voter who is admitted to a health care facility after noon of the fifth day before an election may apply for a ballot up until the close of the polls and may request to have the ballot delivered.) Absentee ballots generally are available three weeks before an election.

    If the voter submits the application in person, he may obtain the ballot and vote immediately "over-the-counter". If the ballot is not available, it will be sent to the voter by mail. When the application is submitted in person by a family member, the ballot must be sent by mail to the voter. And in all other cases, the ballot is sent by mail.

    If you wish to vote by absentee ballot for more than one election in a year you may make one application and request that ballots for all elections during that calendar year be sent to you.

    Returning an absentee ballot

    Ballots may be returned by mail or in person by the voter or a family member. In general, to be counted, the completed ballot must arrive before the close of the polls on election day (8:00 pm). However, absentee ballots for the state general election that are completed outside the United States will be counted if received by 5:00 p.m. on the tenth day following the election. This exception does not apply to local elections or state primaries. All ballots and envelopes must be signed by the voter, or if the voter is unable to sign, by an assisting person.

    Absentee ballots for the disabled

    If you are disabled and unable to come to the polls to vote, you need to file a letter from your doctor with the Town Clerk. The doctor must state that you are unable to cast your ballot at the polling place due to a physical disability. The Town Clerk will automatically mail you an application for an absentee ballot for all elections in a calendar year. You must sign the application and send it back to the clerk.

    Call the Town Clerk (978-264-1727) for information about how to register to vote at home or to request that a mail-in registration form be sent to you.

    Any patient in a nursing home must be a registered voter in order to vote by absentee ballot and must fill out an absentee ballot application. If the clerk designates a health care facility in writing 28 days before the election, the ballot must be hand-delivered to such facility by a Registrar. If the patient states that he/she has entered a hospital after noon of the fifth day before the election, the ballot may be hand-delivered to the voter; otherwise, the ballot should be mailed to the voter at the facility. Consult the administration of the nursing home for further instructions.

    Permanently Disabled Voters

    A voter who is permanently disabled need not submit a request for an absentee ballot for every election. If such a voter submits a note from a registered physician indicating that the voter is permanently disabled, the Town Clerk will send the voter an application for an absentee ballot twenty-eight days before the first election each year. The application will be as complete as the Town Clerk can make it. The voter in most cases will only have to sign the application, return it, and indicate that the voter would like an absentee ballot for every election in that year. Upon the Town Clerk's receipt of the signed application, the voter will be sent an absentee ballot.