Notary Services Guidelines
The following guidelines will be followed in the provision of Notary Service at Boxborough Town Hall:
- Notary Services are available during the following:
- Monday through Thursday: 9 am to 1 pm
- A valid, government-issued, photo identification is required of any customer seeking Notary Service.
- The document(s) cannot already have been signed nor dated.
- All signers must be present at the time of notarizing.
- If your document requires witnesses, it would be helpful if you have them accompany you.
- The Notary is stating they have witnessed the document being signed.
- The document must contain the appropriate Notarial Statement or Clause, or one will be stamped on the document by the Notary.
- Documents in any language other than English will not be notarized.
- Notary Service is not available for:
- Living trusts
- Living wills
- Wills not prepared by a licensed attorney
- Certain public documents cannot be copied and notarized. Examples of these are birth, marriage, and death certificates.
- Massachusetts law requires that a Notary and the person seeking notarization be able to communicate directly with each other.
- In accordance with Massachusetts Notarial Law, Notaries will not provide service if the customer, document, or circumstances of the request for Notary Service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt, or uncertainty. In this event, the Notary may, at their sole discretion, decline to provide Notary Services.
- For questions and appointments regarding Notary services, please contact the Town Clerk, Rebecca Harris, by calling 978-264-1727 or submitting the Town Clerk Contact Form.